Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Snake in the Kitchen?!?!

So, not the most exciting of posts, but since I was able to capture our house guest, I decided to share my story and a couple pictures. I arrived home around 5 this afternoon and noticed something on the kitchen floor. As I moved closer and it moved into what I am calling the "snake tamer" pose, I realized there was a snake in the kitchen. *At that point General started barking at the snake standing on end and Gizmo ran into the crate* I didn't freak much initially, and grabbed my camera (which happened to be on the kitchen counter) and took a picture. I then went to get a yardstick, turned around and the snake was gone. It was then I realized it had crawled under the kitchen cabinet and that is when I started to freak. There was an unknown snake in my house and I was certain if I left again, it would crawl out and climb into bed with me. So I did what your typical girl would do, picked up the phone and called Geoffrey.
ring ring- (G answers) Ay Hello!
Me- Um hi. I got home from work and there was a snake in the kitchen. Now it is under the TV (I failed to clarify that I meant the TV in the kitchen...not living room). What do I do. I grabbed a yard stick and it disappeared and I'm afraid if I leave it, it'll come out. I did get a picture though.
G- Ok, well send the picture to Jerry and call him. He should be able to identify it. He can also get there faster if need be.
Me- Ok, but if I go and get my computer it'll probably crawl out. And then we won't know where it is and I don't want a snake loose in our house.
G- Wait there and I'll leave now. Make sure you put the pugs in the crate.
I then put the pugs in the crate...well really General. Gizmo had already run into the crate and General was sitting on top of the crate. I proceed to call Jerry, who doesn't answer. I then call my brother Kevin to tell him about the snake and ask what he knows. He doesn't know much but asks me if the head was bigger than its body. I said, oh yes, much bigger. Kevin then says I should probably watch out for it. I ask if I should tuck my jeans into my socks, so it can't crawl up and he says probably not a bad idea. So I continue to sit on the floor, staring at the cabinet, with a yardstick, a pasta pot, my cell phone and home phone. Jerry then calls me back and I relay the story again. He starts pulling up various snakes on the computer as I describe to him the snake. He asks me a series of questions to narrow down the variety, and guesses it is a rat or corn snake...which aren't poisonous. Which is good news except it still doesn't fix the fact a snake is in my house.
Geoffrey arrives home and first uses a hanger with duct-tape to try and poke the snake or catch it. When that fails he decides to take off the base molding and front piece of the cabinet to look inside. It is then we discover that there is a small hole cut in the drywall from when the house was built at the back of this cabinet. Grreat. Now the snake has climbed into the wall. Sorry snake, but you ain't coming out. Geoffrey puts the cabinet base front piece and molding back and I seal the opening up with duct tape. Finally at 7 I begin to make dinner. Darn that stupid snake!

Here is our house guest. After doing a little research, we believe it is indeed a corn snake. They aren't poisonous, and apparently make good pets (no Geoffrey, we can't keep it). I also read this "This species is not dangerous but is a good "mouser" so a valuable animal to have around your home." I don't care how good they are at catching mice. They can eat all the mice they want...outside of the house.
And here's a picture of me. When the whole ordeal had finished, Geoffrey looks at me and just starts laughing. I'm wondering what the heck is wrong...and then I look down. I had completely forgotten that my pants were now tucked in my socks. He then tells me "don't move" and uses the camera to catch me looking oh so 80s. I couldn't help but laugh at myself...I did look silly.
Have a great week everyone. And here's to hoping that the snakes will learn of their friends fate and stick to the great outdoors...where they belong.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No mention of how the pugs reacted to this whole ordeal.

BuescherBlog said...

How could I forget. I added the pugs' reactions to the snake.

Kate and Michael Craft said...

That's hilarious! :) I'm glad it was a "safe snake" though! Funny story. Good thing the pugs were smart enough to stay away! Leo sticks his nose down holes all the time. I'm just waiting for the day I have to rush him to the vet with a snake bite. :)

Victoria said...

Priceless! Snakes are the one thing that I'm truly afraid of. A good snake is a dead snake. LOL Thanks for the mid-week laughter.