Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mother's Day, Coffee Yogurt and "NO"

How’s that for random activities and thoughts.

Where does time go? I feel like it hasn’t been that long since I blogged, but its been almost 2 weeks.

Although I don’t have a picture, Isabel survived her first night away from mom, or rather, Mom survived her first night away from Isabel. 2 weekends ago Coelle and I headed down to Blacksburg for a quick visit with Katie before her baby arrives in a few weeks. We had a nice time and I did better than I thought and didn’t even shed a tear. Isabel did great and called to give me lots of updates (with the help of Dad), which was nice.

We had a lovely Mother’s Day weekend, which started out with a visit from Megan, Sam and their kids. There was a lot of action between Ben (4), Nathan (23 mos), Isabel and Nicholas (5 mos), but I did manage to snap a few pictures of Isabel and Nicholas. She was fascinated by him and would talk to him, point at him and “pet” him. Too cute.


Late on in the afternoon she took a walk around the backyard with Dad and picked some herbs, which she carried with her on the excursion.


Sunday I woke up to blue skies and a mother’s day card from Isabel, with a picture of a camera lens that is on its way to the house. She sure is setting the bar high, as last year she got me a GPS. After attending mass Geoffrey made me a delicious Mexican bagel (his own creation) and we just enjoyed a relaxing day around the house. Uncles Kevin and Eric joined us for dinner and even brought a Mother’s Day cake. Life is good.

Uncle Kevin and Isabel reading one of her "touchy feely books." Here they are feeling the dog's shiny collar.








Uncle Eric hugging Isabel who is hugging her penguin.

Helping mommy stir the oatmeal pancake batter.
And now for a few funnies. Isabel is becoming increasingly interested in everything that we eat…especially the stuff she knows she isn’t getting. I am a big fan of Dannon Natural Coffee yogurt and every time I pull out the yellow cup she points and expects to get some. Yesterday I decided to give her a taste, figuring she wouldn’t like the coffee flavor and that would be that. Well, as you can see, I was wrong. She liked the taste I gave her, and then tried to lick my empty cup clean!








And last but not least, a little story. Isabel has developed a bad habit (no idea where from, as she doesn’t do it at school), that goes something like this.

1. Isabel decides she is done with dinner (only in her head though, we have no warning sign).
2. Takes a sip of milk
3. A great big grin spreads across her face
4. Mouth opens and the milk begins to dribble out
5. Once the milk starts dribbling, she makes a sputtering noise with her lips so that milk sprays everyone (even landing on her head) and shakes her head from side to side with delight.

It is so hard not to laugh, so we usually tell her no, look away, hide our face behind a napkin. Monday night, Geoffrey was on his game and pointed his finger at her accompanied by a very stern “Isabel NO.” I was afraid she might start crying, as it’s the tone of voice we usually use on the pugs when they have been bad. Instead, Isabel broke out into a hysterical, almost mocking laugh. It was too funny and I couldn’t contain myself. Guess we gotta practice a little more on keeping a straight face.
Well, Isabel is napping which means I should be getting back to some chores. We are enjoying some beautiful weather and even went on an hour run this morning (Mommy was a little overzealous and should have turned around a bit sooner though...oh well!).







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your making Nicholas grow faster than he is already to me! Just turned 4m :-) We'll let it go this time haha.

We had such a nice time visiting even though we are a real circus.

Yes, We do a lot of hiding behind a napkin and sometimes we just can't hold it when the kids do thing they shouldn't. I've had to leave the room before! Oh joy!
- Megan