Sunday, March 4, 2007

Demo is DONE!

Today I finished up the demo...and now the clean up begins. Earlier in the week I began taking down the mortared shower walls, and finished up that work on Saturday. Today I tackled the floor, which was much easier to remove than I anticipated. Work came to a halt early in the afternoon, when my trash cans reached capacity. Trash pickup will be on Tuesday, so hopefully by Wednesday I will have removed all the large mortar pieces and will pick up the rest with a shop vac. Then its onto installing subfloor and cement board! I'm still having a ball and learning a lot.

The floor "stack up" consisted of plywood subfloor, tar paper, wire mesh and a 1.5" layer of mortar. Using a crowbar and sledge hammer, I would pry away the mortar just above the mesh to avoid damaging the subfloor.
No more mortar shower walls!

3 comments:

GB Fertig said...

Now thats a hot picture! Crowbar in hand mask on!

Anonymous said...

why rip apart a perfectly good bathroom??

Anonymous said...

Rich--That's what I'M saying...